What to Wear for over 50s Women
What to Wear for over 50s Women
Finding Your Style Blueprint and Avoiding A Blue Rinse - An Elegant Option for the over 50s!...
Who is really catering for the 50+ woman? Are you all struggling to find relevant advice? As personal stylists our main concern is how to offer styling advice to women at different times in their lives. Often fashion and style advice only seems appropriate to specific ages and we're always conscious that style advice need to be redefined within different age groups, what might be great advice to one age group of women is not relative to another age group.
NHJ Style offers personal stylist services to all age groups. However the woman hitting 50 these days is vastly different to the woman hitting 50 say 10 years ago - you really are 10 years younger in your attitude and how you like to dress.
Let's focus on some style advice that should be a style blue print to help your styling needs to wear flattering and chic outfits and avoid any fashion faux pas.
The NHJ Style glamour guide to ageless style:
- The correct underpinnings are essential. Invest in a bra fitting and consider shapewear options to help you feel confident in your clothes.Your posture will also improve as a result!
- Good fit and cut is essential in a garment especially a jacket and trouser.
- Classic fits need to be considered to accommodate certain body shapes. Some women prefer a looser cut, nothing clingy or uncomfortable around the tummy area, bottom, bust and thighs, particularly as your shape may change a bit before, during and after the menopause.
- Fall back in love with black - all over colours, patterns and prints can often overwhelm your body and overpower you. Black is a good neutral when strong colours may suddenly seem brash against the skin tone and therefore a need to go back to neutrals may take hold. Grey, beige and white offer the same chic fresh look.
- Team your neutrals with darker tones of colours such as khakis, French navy, dark pinks. Darker tones have more depth than paler colours. Older skin need illuminating and because of this many of you will opt for softer colours thinking this might work well against your face but the overall effect is to lose an element of sharpness. Hair colour and make-up have a more important role in illuminating your skin.
- Learn to accessorise in colour to soften your classic look and add a current trend element to it. A ceramic bangle in a deep pink or orange will suggest simplicity and elegance.
- Less is more - really zone in on your key essentials and invest in quality over quantity.
- If your body shape changes then re-evaluate what clothes suit your shape. Don't think in terms of the classic body shape types; focus on using your eye to see what flatters. Flaunt your best feature.
- Aim for a classic chic look that suits you rather than looks that are on trend or stylish, so that you look great for your age and don't have that ‘mutton dressed as lamb' feeling. But don't ignore fashion trends; pick out accessories, scarves and bags that update a look.
- Every item should be about quality and this should also be considered when choosing your accessories. Avoid only wearing fine jewellery as this can look dated; choose statement pieces which are versatile across all your looks.
- Footwear can either make or break an outfit! Ensure that you choose your shoes carefully, even when comfort is a factor.
- Make sure your outfits still project your personality, as this can sometimes get forgotten along the way.
- You do still need to ensure that you aim for current classic as opposed to dated classic and so an experienced personal stylist will help you to travel through your style journey successfully.
At NHJ Style we believe that you can look amazing at any age, and the right clothes will ensure that not only will you look fantastic but you will also feel fantastic.
Our personal styling services are tailored to your age, budget and lifestyle and we always match you up with a personal stylist you can relate to.