Top Tips For Dressing Slim
Top Tips For Dressing Slim
1. Make sure the detail is on the slimmest part of your body. Whether it's texture, pattern, embellishment or the use of accessories.
2. Always make sure you wear fitted clothes on the largest part of your body. Our instinct is to cover up under loose, baggy clothing - but this only serves to make us look bigger.
3. Use accessories to divert attention away from your worst bits towards your best features. For example, if you're pear-shaped, avoid big hipster belts and draw attention to the top half of your body with chunky necklaces or tops with lots of detail. Slim scarves can also help draw the eye down the centre of the body, which elongates the figure to create a slimmer silhouette.
4. Whatever your body shape, always try to create a waist. Even if you carry extra weight around your tummy area, doing this will give you a more curvaceous figure and avoid you looking like a solid block. This is easily done by wearing fitted jackets, fitted tops or belts.
5. Wearing well-tailored clothes will sculpt your body into shape. I believe that the bigger you are the more tailoring you need to invest in. That doesn't mean you have to wear a suit every day; by tailoring I mean clothes that give you shape as opposed to loose, floating items that simply follow your outline.
6. Wear darker colours on the biggest part of your body. I don't mean you only have to wear black. Anything darker works - for example, grey, brown, navy blue, emerald green. The darker the colour, the more light it absorbs and the slimmer you will appear.
7. Necklines can also make a huge difference. V-necks are fantastic for large breasts as they break up the chest area and help draw the eye down the centre of the body. Avoid high necklines if you're big busted. Pear- and rhubarb- shaped figures can wear most necklines.
8. Thicker, stretchy fabrics are more slimming than soft silky or satin fabrics, as they tend to mould your body into shape, rather than following any bulges.
9. Remember having curves doesn't equal fat. A curvaceous figure is feminine and sexy and what we should all be striving for. So stop wearing shapeless clothes that make you look square and boxy and start flaunting your curves! You will feel slimmer in an instant.
10. Wearing the same colour or tone of colour top and bottom will make you appear taller and slimmer.
11. A bold pattern can be slimming if evenly distributed over an outfit as it confuses the eye. Bold patterns are usually more slimming on a dress than on separates like a top or trousers.
12. Sew up pockets on jackets and trousers to prevent bulging, which simply adds weight and draws attention to where you need it least.
13. Layering a fitted top underneath a floaty kaftan or cardigan will give you a slimmer proportion. Layering is a fantastic tool for hiding imperfections without opting for big and baggy.
14. Don't forget your heels. A few inches can do wonders for your shape, making you look taller and slimmer. Don't go anywhere without them - they will make you feel sexy and enable you to strut with confidence.
15. Oh, and where possible, opt for pointy shoes, as this will help elongate your legs, slimming down proportions.
Nicky and the NHJ Consultancy Team x