January Sales Shopping Tips
January Sales Shopping Tips
Read our 10 top tips on how to shop successfully in the January sales!......
- Practical matters: Have a plan. Before going to the January sales do check your wardrobe and think about what you need. Make a list of what you hope to or would like to buy. Do you have an item of clothing in mind? If so, find out all the stockists within walking distance so you are prepared to try the next place if your size isn't in stock.
- Wear flats or trainers. We love heels so we don't say this often!...but sales shopping is a mini workout and you will do well to wear a practical outfit. Wear 'easy to take off' shoes and clothes to make trying on items as easy and as quick as possible. The best option is a good coat for warmth between shops and maybe an oversized top or dress over leggings. If you are only going to a shopping centre ditch the coat and run from the car to inside! You will get hot and keeping cool will make the trying on of items less fraught. You can check sizes before the sales start. If you have an item in mind go in and try it on to avoid having to try it on during the sales rush.
- Have a bottle of water and a handy snack. Keep yourself hydrated and have something you can nibble on when you feel you are flagging.
- Go alone. If you go with family or friends you will not be able to focus and will be easily distracted. This is how people end up buying items they didn't really want or need, hence the plan.
- Check the stores returns policies. It is important to try things on to avoid making returns and stockpiling credit notes.
- Start early. Gone are the days when people queued round the block for the January sales but an early start will give you a head start on stock choices
- Sales Style Wins: The bigger the item the bigger the reduction in relation to what you would have spent. Replenish your winter wardrobe with boots, coats and other more expensive items during the sales.
- Look for good quality neutral basics. This is the time to pick up more expensive quality items you can keep for years, like a cashmere jumper or a tuxedo jacket or a little black dress. Go for neutral colour choices like black, beige, grey or navy or select the item in your favourite colour.
- If in doubt walk away. Any thoughts of ‘would I wear this' or ‘when would I wear this' or ‘what would I wear this with' means you should step away from the item in question. The tender trap of buying something just because it is in the sales is a fashion no no. Revert back to point 1, pull out your list and regain style focus.
- Be savvy. The alternative is to stay at home in your onsie with a mug of hot chocolate and shop the sales online!
To get the most out of your sales shopping experience - in January or whenever - take one of our top personal stylists with you...that way you are guaranteed to avoid any impulse mistake buys! Find out more about our Personal Stylist Services.